Friday 24 May 2013

A video to rekindle your interest in starting your own business

This will just be a quick post from me today to share with you one of the most inspirational speeches on entrepreneurship that I have ever heard.  I confess that I had not heard of the speaker (Wycliffe Grousbeck, CEO and co-owner of the Boston Celtic) before but rather just stumbled across this video while browsing on YouTube.

Before I share my views on the video and what I took from it I recommend that you watch it.  Note that it is quite long however you can listen to it while doing other tasks (i.e. it does not require you to actually watch the screen).



There were a couple of things which really resonated with me from his talk including:
  1. Everyone knows the risks around setting up your own business but most do not think about the risks inherent in employment
  2. Pressure from family and friends to take the traditional path often causes us to forgo or forget our dreams
  3. The ability to be an entrepreneur is limited by age.  Beyond about 35 we have too many other responsibilities and have lost the ability to fail

There were so many other valuable insights from
his talk however the reason I liked him over many other speakers who typically give speeches on entrepreneurship is that he is one who has been both an employee (and a high level one) as well as an entrepreneur.  He has seen both sides of the coin and so can speak from experience about the pros and cons of both options.  Also I liked the fact that he completed his education, and was not a uni drop out who started his own business and made millions.  I can't relate to the college drop out but I found this man's wisdom, wealth of experience and life insights fascinating.

After listening to the talk I found myself thinking about my choices and where I wanted to go next. I found myself thinking of all the business ideas I used to have as well as ones I started which never really got going. And most importantly I found myself wondering when and how  did I get so comfortable in my 9 to 5 job...

I would love to hear your opinions on his talk.  Did you find it inspiring or a little boring?  What insights did you take from it?

You May Also Be Interested In:


No comments:

Post a Comment