In some ways the last year has been a little boring on the financial front. I have been building cash so that my wife and I can look at buying our new home so I haven't been as active with my investments as I was in the first few years of this blog. However this year I have been doing a lot on the personal front and in cleaning up my share portfolio which had grown incredibly unfocused.
I will look at most of these points in detail below and this post is going to be one of my longer ones so feel free to skip to whatever section interests you most (I've tried to signpost it as well as I can)
Annual Net Worth Performance: +$200,000
Over the year to June 2016 my net worth increased from $561,000 to $761,000 and although this is a spectacularly large increase there are a few reasons why this is a one off which I will discuss below. However even excluding these one offs my wife and I managed to do really well this year especially given the amount we have been doing in our personal lives including:
- Getting married
- Going on two overseas holidays
- Doing some expensive renovations on our home
Although the net worth performance over the year looks pretty amazing there are a few one offs I should probably call out here:
- In 2015 I had adjusted my net worth down to account for the fact that we would have to spend a significant amount on our wedding and honeymoon so these big expenses didn't actually impact our net worth
- At our wedding in July last year our guests were incredibly generous (especially our parents) and this boosted our net worth by ~$30,000
- We had our home revalued in August last year by the bank and this added another $40,000 to our net worth over the year
However even allowing for this we still managed to do very well over the year. Before I go into the details of what we did over the year it may be worth looking at how I have done since I started writing this blog over 5 years ago.