Why am I feeling anxiety when I am doing pretty decently for my age (for those of you who don't know I just crossed the big 30 a few months ago)? Housing is the reason. My wife and I are saving for a new house and housing in the state I live in is incredibly expensive. I keep going round and round in my head the different options:
- Do I sell some investment assets to be able to afford a better home?
- Do I compromise on where I live to buy something more affordable?
- Do I buy something more expensive and keep the investment assets but leverage myself more?
- Do we go for the area we want but perhaps not the house that we want?
- Can I afford to take extra leverage if I'm the sole bread winner and we have kids?
Obviously in a world with limited resources where I am not a multi-millionaire these are all very real questions and questions that lots of people ask...it's just my time to ask and go through these issues.
Why do I raise all of these issues in a post about my net worth? I haven't been tracking my net worth performance this month all that closely and given the stress I have been feeling with the above questions it was a relief and pleasant surprise to see things continue to go well.
So how did I actually do this month?
My net worth performance breaks down as follows (note that totals may not add exactly as there are formulas which round everything to the nearest $100)
Let's walk through some of the major movements this month...